The Flicks Community Movie Theaters are the only independent, fully licensed and fully volunteer-run art house cinemas in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, which offer big screen movies in comfortable air conditioned movie rooms to the expatriate and tourist community.
Our main facts:
- The Flicks Community Movie Theaters are located at the following locations: The Flicks 1 (Street 95) and 11 Happy Flicks 2 (Street 136). Click here to see them on handy maps.
- The Flicks are fully volunteer-run local community movie theater, fully financed by 109 people after a crowd-funding event and once founded in 2009.
- Profits are re-invested into the movie theaters themselves and to support social and cultural events in the Phnom Penh expat community (like the Phnom Penh Players amateur theater group, the bi-monthly and highly anticipated Nerd Night Phnom Penh, various comedy shows and annual performances of The Vagina Monologues and art events at various venues) as well as various expatriate-oriented websites and city guides.
- The cover charge is $3.50 per day at The Flicks 1+2 (per venue). Tickets are not valid at the same day at another venue.
- We screen HD quality big screen edition of the latest blockbusters, classics and documentaries on the 6-meter wide screen at The Flicks 1 and on the 5-meter wide screen at The Flicks 2.
- The Flicks venues are fully licensed drink and snack bars and offer comfortable air conditioned movie rooms where you can watch the movies from brand new reclining seats (The Flicks 1), soft cushions (The Flicsk 2) or comfy rattan sofas.
- You can reserve your seats for every screening out our venues through our online reservation form. Reserved seats have priority. You can pay for your tickets at the venue, at least 15 minutes before the scheduled time of the movie. After this time your reservations becomes void.
- Our three venues are available for private screenings, which is ideal for birthday parties, church screenings or if you just want to have the entire theater for yourself.
- If you wish to volunteer at The Flicks (for a minimum of 3 weeks and including free accommodation), find us in Phnom Penh on www.workaway.info. We only accept applications through that particular website.
- Sign up for our weekly newsletter, this way you receive our schedule every week in your mailbox. Just fill out the form at the bottom of this page.
- The Flicks is the official venue of the Phnom Penh International Film Festival (PPIFF) that takes place every year in November in Phnom Penh.
If you prefer to use your phone (to check the time, to text a friend, to check your facebook updates or to even make a phone call), we will stop the movie for you. And then we kindly request you to leave the venue. Using any hardware during any of our screenings is simply considered as a rude violation of our house rules.
You are kindly requested not to bring your own food and/or drinks to any of our venues.
A little history
The New-Zealand couple Martin and Jeanette Robinson founded The Flicks Festival Movie House in early 2009. They renovated a pre-Khmer Rouge villa into one with an air conditioned movie room and a bar on the second floor.
In March 2011 Dutch serial entrepreneur Ramon Stoppelenburg took over the business, after an online fund-raising to save the movie house from closure. The lobby got renovated and fully air conditioned and the front balcony got a large and leafy terrace extension in the years that followed. The Flicks 1 can seat 32 people.
The 11 Happy Flicks 2
Because of the high popularity of the initial first movie theater, the demand rose for a second location in the city center. A brand new movie venue was constructed on #88-89, Street 136, inside the 11 Happy Backpackers Hotel.
The Killing Fields screens every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at The 11 Happy Flicks 2 and is sold out pretty much daily. The Flicks 2 can seat 16 people.