The Flicks Community Movie Theater is the only independent, fully licensed and fully volunteer-run art house cinema in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, which offers big screen movies in a comfortable air conditioned movie room to the expatriate and tourist community, since June 2009.
Our main facts:
- The Flicks Community Movie Theater is located at house number 39b on Street 95. Click here to see it on a handy map.
- The cover charge is $4 per day . Yes, per day. This means that you can see all movies we have on our schedule for that day for one fixed rate. You are even allowed to leave and come back later in the day.
- We screen HD quality big screen edition of the latest blockbusters, classics and documentaries on the 6-meter wide screen at The Flicks.
- The Flicks venue is a fully licensed drink and snack bar and offer comfortable air conditioned movie room (mini hall) where you can watch the movies from brand new reclining seats or comfy rattan sofas.
- The Flicks is a fully volunteer-run local community movie theater, fully financed by 109 people after a crowd-funding event and once founded in 2009.
- Profits are re-invested into the movie theater itself and to support social and cultural events in the Phnom Penh expat community (like the Phnom Penh Players amateur theater group, the bi-monthly and highly anticipated Nerd Night Phnom Penh, various comedy shows and annual performances of The Vagina Monologues and art events at various venues) as well as various expatriate-oriented websites and city guides.
- You can reserve your seats for every screening out our venues through our online reservation form. Reserved seats have priority. You can pay for your tickets at the venue, at least 15 minutes before the scheduled time of the movie. After this time your reservations becomes void.
- The movie room is available for private screenings, which is ideal for birthday parties, church screenings or if you just want to have the entire theater for yourself.
- If you wish to volunteer at The Flicks (for a minimum of 3 weeks and including free accommodation), let us know and contact us through this website. We are always in need for fun smiley people to help us out.
- Sign up for our weekly newsletter, this way you receive our schedule every week in your mailbox. Just fill out the form at the bottom of this page.
- We are not available by phone, as too many people then find our number somewhere online and call to ask what we are screening tonight and what these movies are about. Don’t worry, we have this all-informing website with various contact options in the menu.
Harsh house rules
If you prefer to use your phone (to check the time, to text a friend, to check your facebook updates or to even make a phone call), we will stop the movie for you. And then we kindly request you to leave the venue. Using any hardware during any of our screenings is simply considered as a rude violation of our house rules.
You are kindly requested not to bring your own food and/or drinks to any of our venue.
A little history
The New-Zealand couple Martin and Jeanette Robinson founded The Flicks Festival Movie House in early 2009. They renovated a pre-Khmer Rouge villa into one with an air-conditioned movie room and a bar on the second floor.
In March 2011 Dutch serial entrepreneur Ramon Stoppelenburg took over the business, after an online fund-raising to save the movie house from closure. The lobby got renovated and fully air conditioned and the front balcony got a large and leafy terrace extension in the years that followed. The Flicks can seat 32 people.